We have frequent requests from potential teachers to participate in a programme of work experience at Tavistock College to support their applications for ITT or to confirm their suitability for a teaching career.
Anyone interested in participating in this programme should contact the College with your current CV and a letter to support your application explaining what you are hoping to gain from this experience.
All participants will require a DBS check (formally CRB) prior to the commencement of this 5 day programme. This needs to be completed well in advance of the SEP week. At least 2 weeks before we will need you to bring in some form of photographic ID and a utility bill with your current address on for proof of identification. We will photocopy these for our records for the duration of your visit to the College. These should be taken to the main reception and Sue Jerrett from personnel will complete the relevant paperwork. There will be no cost incurred for these DBS checks but it is important to state that the College cannot legally accept anyone working on the College site who hasn’t had this check carried out.
Successful applicants will undertake a week’s programme in the College within a suitable subject area to give you the opportunity of gaining an understanding of the demands of a fully comprehensive secondary school curriculum from KS3 to KS5. Tavistock College is a co-operative College which is proud of its inclusive nature , helping to promote innovative practice alongside a real world focus to its learning.
We are aware that many people who may wish to get involved in this programme have little or no recent experience of being in a school/college and we will therefore expect anyone involved in our programme to be prepared to follow our protocol:
- Appropriate dress for a school should be worn: (no jeans / trainers / clothing with explicit logos or language / no facial piercings / low-cut or revealing attire).
- We expect a professional approach at all times towards both staff and students.
- Please ensure your use of language and topics of conversation with students is appropriate at all times.
- Punctuality to lessons is essential.
- You may not take any photographs at any time while on the premises.
- Ensure any sensitive information overheard or observed in the College during your visit is kept confidential.
- Please ensure mobile phones are turned off during lessons and are only used at break and lunch times.
Please send all CV’s and letters of application to:
Phil Ruse (ITT co-ordinator)
Tavistock, PL19 8DD
Alternatively you can e mail : email@example.com